Thursday, February 17, 2011

School and Athletics Day

Today was my second day at Heretaunga College. It is wonderful. i know i made the right decision to speak up about moving schools and host families. definitely. The guys and girls at Heretaunga are so nice and welcoming. They're so curious about America and and where i live and my accent. A lot of kids talk really fast and sometimes its hard to follow them because they use slang words i have never even heard of, so i have to ask them to repeat themselves a few times! Two maori kids (year 13- my age) today tried to teach me some of the maori language, (so coool!) but it sounded so strange with the rolling tongues and foreign, tiki-like words.

And since today was "Athletics Day", we did no school work! Woohoo! :) We got together in our House groups (think harry potter's hufflepuff, slytherin, etc) and we got to compete in different events, like the 100 metres, javelin throw, 1500 metres, discuss and relays. It was so much fun! It was like an over-the-top pep rally back home. There were costumes and each house dressed up in a different color (red, blue, green, and yellow). somewhat like halloween. Anyways, we're competing for the "House Cup" and whoever has the most points will come in first at the end of the year. crazy.
Here i am (Blue house) with Dorothy (Green House). I don't really want to hang out with her too much at school because already people are labeling us "the two crazy americans."
and now for some more lovely photos:::::
^^^me trying on the enemy's (friend in the Yellow House) costume.


Me with Irene and Jaimie and the gang. 


My friend Jaimie (Green House) on the left and Simran(Blue House) on the right (obviously he doesn't wear gloves like that on a regular basis. or i wouldn't talk to him.)


-evelyn




1 comment:

mum said...

Hi Poppet! Wow! What a great day you had again! So how did the blue team do? What did you and Dorothy compete in? Neat photo! I love it! I really liked your previous piece on the different words - not so different for me really. In fact, many brought back memories. I tend not to use many of those words now, though as you know, a few have stayed with me. Ha! I am pleased that you have some Maori students at your school. I hope they try and introduce you to more of their sayings:) Okay my dear, keep up the great work with your blog! I so love reading it! Take care and stay safe! Love mum and Mz Henry xx meoww